The democratic leadership style calls upon the input from different people in a shared leadership approach. Before decision making, individuals are welcome and free to contribute solutions. This degree of sharing is important as it helps the best ideas come to the forefront as ideas build upon one another.
Environments that find success in the implication of this leadership approach tend to be fluid. That is to say, change occurs at a rapid rate. Sometimes allowing others to engage in the decision-making process allows customer demands to be met more timely.
Problems with this leadership approach occur because facilitating discussion delays group decision making for the collection of ideas from multiple sources. Those individuals in charge must balance the need for conversation with action.
Importance of Democratic Leadership Style
Organizations and groups that require flexibility will tend to find success with the application of this approach.
Seasoned teams that possess high levels of skill or experience can leverage this strength by allowing multiple people to participate in the leadership function.
How to Improve Democratic Leadership Style
To improve the capabilities of democratic leadership style groups should look to receive input from diverse perspectives.
- Communication– The democratic leadership style is all about working with others. To successfully form partnerships and drive change management groups must learn to communicate with each other in a transparent manner. Transparency helps other understand the perspectives of others while collaborating to move a good idea to a great idea.
- Concentration- When people are brought together from different disciplines it becomes easy to go astray and lose sight of team’s goals. The problem or the goal should be at the forefront. Focus on how to leverage strengths and capabilities to the best of the team’s ability.
- Commitment- The objective of this leadership style is to generate multiple solutions. To improve democratic leadership style one must learn when there are enough alternative solutions. You must then discern which solution is likely to arrive at your desired goal or bring you closest to achieving the group’s
- Respect- It is vital to empathize with your coworkers and your customers. Since this approach is likely to be installed when there is lots of specification to individual needs or rapidly changing demands it is vital to appreciate the value each member of your team offers. To address consumer demand changes, it is best to be mindful of the uniqueness of each request.
Who has a Democratic Leadership Style
There are a variety of groups where one will likely discover a democratic leadership style.
- Artistic Groups- Those organizations that must rely on their creativity or artistic flare may utilize this approach as a means of soliciting innovative ideas.
- Consulting- Consultants earn their income for offering innovative approaches to problems. To arrive at these solutions, experts will find that sharing insight with others in their organization to be successful.
- Service Industry- Customers have demands that are different from each other. Individually, their requirements may be different on a daily basis. The democratic leadership style relies on conversational groups that help everyone stay on the same page in hopes of staying ahead of these needs.
- Schools- This is a setting and environment to foster growth. The growth mindset values diverse perspectives and collaborative efforts. Groups can take ideas and form connections to expand collective knowledge.
- Technology Industry- Due to the speed at which technology changes this particular industry finds great success with involving multiple parties in the decision-making Tech companies rely on their competitive strength to stay ahead of the curve and continually introduce new innovative solutions to the marketplace.